Room: Math building, 3rd Floor, Meeting Room 1.
After a short re-joiner of the traditional graphical system of R, the philosophy of the grammar of graphics and its implementation in ggplot is in focus. The differences to the traditional graphics in R are shown as well as the components of a ggplot are discussed in detail. These topics are accompanied by practical exercises to be done by course participants themselves on their laptops. Additionally, mapping, interactive visualization tools its presentation on websites using shiny will be discussed. All lectures will be delivered in English. Main lecturer is Matthias Templ, Ph.D. from the Institute of Data Analysis and Process Design of the Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Switzerland.
Participants should have basic knowledge in R syntax, for example by doing exercises of R package Swirl or by taking an online course on DataCamp. All topics are accompanied by hands-on exercises. The workshop participants should bring their own laptop with R >= version 3.5.3 and RStudio >= version 1.2.1335
After this workshop, participants will be able to efficiently make nice looking graphics with R.
- Brief presentations and lectures;
- Hands-on practical exercises with R.
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is only eligible for
- Lecturers or Researchers from a University in Indonesia
- PhD student which are working in the Indonesian university as a lecturer/researcher
- Scientists of any discipline who wish to learn about data visualization in R, which are working in the Indonesian university as a lecturer/researcher
- International participants are not eligible
The workshop will be held on Thursday, July 25, 2019 with the following tentative schedule
08:15 – 08.45 Registration 08.45 - 09.00 Opening session 09:00 – 10:30 Traditional graphics and hands-on 10.30 – 10.45 Coffee Break 10:45 – 12:15 ggplot including hands-on 12.15 - 13.15 Lunch and Sholat 13:15 – 14:15 Concluding topics and practical sessions 14:15 – 15:15 Interactive tools and mapping 15,15 – 15.30 Coffee Break 15:30 – 17:00 Web applications using shiny
Please note that this schedule is tentative and the exact time needed for a topic also depends on the interest of the participants.
The workshop location is Department of Mathematics, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta
- PhD student working as a lecturer in Indonesia : Rp 200.000,00 (proof of Student Card which is still active is required during registration)
- Other participants: Rp 300.000,00
You may register via conference website (https://seams-ugm.id/2019/) and please confirm your registration by contacting Prof. Dr.rer.nat. Dedi Rosadi, S.Si., M.Sc. via WhatsApp +6281328471898 (only text message will be replied) and email: email@example.com (use subject: Workshop Data Visualization with R)
International Participants: not eligible